Monday, February 28, 2011

41. Prodasineura coerulescens (Fraser, 1932)

Number: 41
Family: Platycnemididae
Genus: Prodasineura
Species: Prodasineura coerulescens
Common name(s): N/A
Thai name(s): แมลงปอเข็มหางเข็มผู้ปลายแฉก
Habitat: Tree-lined rivers, lowlands
Province(s) sighted: River Chi (Khon Kaen)
Sightings (by me): Rare
In flight (that I have seen): November-March

The second species of the genus Prodasineura I ever saw, was Prodasineura coerulescens. I was taking photos at the River Chi, Khon Kaen back in December 2008. I thought I had come across another P. autumnulis, but then noticed its azure blue colouration. Then it hit me... it's a new species for me! I have since seen 3-4 males and a female. That said, I haven't spotted this species of damselfly for over 2 years.

The male
Very similar to a young P. autumnulis in appearance, but has wonderful azure blue stripes on its thorax, end segments and its eyes. It is also fairly easy to get close to and photograph. 

I recently returned to the same area [23.xi.13] and saw about 6-7 and the same numbers of females within a very small area of banking, deep undercover.





The male in flight
Like many species in the Prodasinerua genus, they tend to hover for long periods before they settle again (often not until they have caught something to eat).


The female
The female resembles P. autumnulis. However, I saw a number females roosting along with males. The only difference I can see between the two females is that the abdomen of P. coerulescens seems slightly longer and, like the male, is fairly easy to approach.



This female I saw back in 2009.


I have only spotted this species in Khon Kaen and it is seldom seen even here. It is apparently known along the west of Thailand, but I don;t think it is commonly seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment