Sunday, February 27, 2011

29. Merogomphus paviei (Martin, 1904)

Number: 29
Family: Gomphidae
Genus: Merogomphus
Species: Merogomphus paviei
Common name(s): N/A
Thai name(s): N/A
Habitat: Heavily forested uplands streams
Province(s) sighted: Nam Nao National Park (Petchabun).
Sightings (by me): Uncommon
In flight (that I have seen): June-October (though I'm sure it's longer)

I have visited Nam Nao National Park on two occasions and the second time I visited, I saw this large dragonfly Merogomphus paviei. It patrolled the river which runs though the headquarters and was intent on upsetting a group of male T. aurora that were in the area. Amazingly, it seemed to be able to fly backwards in retreat. I watch it for several moments and managed to get a few good photos of it before it disappeared, probably bored of playing with the other dragonflies.

Now I have spotted a few males, I can fairly confidently ID this species even when in flight. Mainly due to the fact that the males arch their abdomens downwards - a characteristic I have only seen with this species.

The male
This is the male of the species, and is characterised by the 'club' like end segments to the abdomen. The shape of the anal appendages are also interesting (see close up).








 Here's the 'club-like' caudal appendages.



As ever, many thanks to Noppadon Makbun for the ID.

No comments:

Post a Comment