Monday, July 18, 2011

132. Sieboldius nigricolor (Fraser, 1924)

Number: 132
Family: Gomphidae
Genus: Sieboldius
Species: Sieboldius nigricolor (possibly)
Common name(s): N/A
Thai name(s): แมลงปอเสือป่าดำ
Habitat: Exposed but weedy streams (lowlands)
Province(s) sighted: Huay Gairo Waterfall (Chiang Mai).
Sightings (by me): Rare
In flight (that I have seen): March (though I assume much longer)


A large female dragonfly I saw last March in Chiang Mai, had been sat in my 'Unknown' pile until now. I couldn't even guess the family (my guess was wrong!). However, Oleg Kosterin has corrected me, not only on the family, he even knew the genus (Sieboldius).  He also thinks it could be the female of Sieboldius nigricolor, as they have been reported in Chiang Mai. Therefore, unless anyone knows otherwise, I will regard this specimen as a 'tentative' ID of that species. 

The female
The female is large and has distinctive thoracic markings. The anal appendages are also long. If you look closely at the appendages, you can see what looks like mud. Maybe she was resting after ovipositing. She rested momentarily on a large lilly pad, before flying off to destinations unknown. These are the only two shots I got and I had to use a 300 mm lens.



Many, many thanks to Oleg Kosterin for the ID, though tentative. 

No comments:

Post a Comment