Sunday, November 17, 2013

A short trip to Khon Kaen ... part 2

Location: Khon Kaen environs
Date: Saturday, 16 November 2013
Areas visited: Heavily tree-lined pond / short canal section about 15 kms outside KK city.
Yesterday, I returned to the same location as the previous week, in order to improve photos of male/female Gynacantha saltatrix. I managed to locate specimens again and also enjoyed sighting a few more species for the season. The weather was lovely and overcast too. Though it was quiet, I managed to spot male and female Lestes concinnus for the first time in four years. I also saw Aciagrion borneense and Diplacodes nebulosa for the first time this season in Khon Kaen. Scratched, bitten, muddy and tired, it was a difficult day in terms of locating species, but I can't help but love that cloudy weather for photography.

My best photos of the day:

My first sighting of this species in four years. 





After lots of hard effort many cuts and scratches from horrible bushes, I managed to get full shots of male and female (this species rests really low down in the low leaves and grasses - probably why they are green). It's a shame that they are ALWAYS hiding amongst lots and lots of grass!



New sightings at this location for the year.


.
 The same female on the same stick from last week ... but a much improved photo of her!

 
Copula spotted sometimes, but really difficult to photograph ... they love dark, dingy places often dry, but muddy.
 
 
And a few of the regulars at this time of year ... they deserve a look in too!
 






No comments:

Post a Comment