Monday, September 7, 2015

179. Macromia moorei Selys, 1874

Number: 179
Family: Macromiidae
Genus: Macromia
Species: Macromia moorei
Common name(s): N/A
Synonyms: N/A
Habitat: Upland forested stream
Province(s) sighted: Phu Hin Rong Kla NP (Phitsanoluk)
Sightings: 3-4 males
In flight (that I have seen): September
Species easily confused with: Macromia cupricincta

At last another species to add to my list. This time in the shape of Macromia moorei. I saw one patrolling the same area of a small, clear and exposed stream. I tried again and again to get a shot in flight, but they were all terrible. Finally, it rested and I managed to get shots of it and even catch it (luckily as I wouldn't have been able to ID it properly otherwise). It's a new genus for me and, thanks to Noppadon, I am now aware that it is also a provincial record! I know that there is a Macromia species that resides at Nam Nao and Phu Khieo. I have seen it numerous times but never got anywhere near it. I now have to catch it to find out. Watch this space.

 

Now in the hand ...
Note his rather bland face.
 The appendages ... (ventral, then dorsal)





... and the genitalia ...





No comments:

Post a Comment